7 Important Things Pet Owners Should Be Aware Of – Being a pet owner is a rewarding experience and there are many benefits to this relationship. Owning a pet can lower your blood pressure and reduce stress levels. For those who have pets, this feeling of love is real and they consider their dogs and cats as part of the family.
Despite the rewarding aspects of having a pet, there are some things that owners should be aware of. Read on – 7 Important Things Pet Owners Should Be Aware Of:
It’s a good idea to regularly inspect your pet for fleas and ticks. If your pet does have parasites you should consult with the vet about what medication is needed to get rid of them safely.
As well as using medications it’s also important to make sure that you take precautions when around other animals, in public places, and at home. Regularly wash your hands after touching their paws and if there are children in the house inform them not to touch any unknown insect or animal because they could be carrying diseases that aren’t safe for humans such as rabies and plague.
If the parasite is a flea or a tick, this could be ingested from grooming themselves which then transfers into the bloodstream and causes fever, seizures, weakness, and eventually even death.
Antifreeze is a common poison in Singapore and owners should be aware that it tastes sweet which makes it very attractive to dogs. A dog can ingest antifreeze by drinking from puddles or water containers, eating grass that has been contaminated, or by chewing on rubber car mats.
Symptoms signs of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, appearing wobbly on their feet and uncoordinated when walking, excessive urination, and sometimes seizures. If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze seek veterinary help immediately because if left untreated this can cause serious damage and even death.
Many pets have been killed by chewing electrical cords and sometimes owners don’t realize how hazardous it can be. It’s a good idea to put wires, lamps, and any other objects that could be chewed up away from your pet because they can suffer second or third-degree burns which are extremely painful.
If you do discover that your dog has chewed an electrical cord it’s important not to touch them because you might get electrocuted yourself.
You should also unplug the cord if possible, safely move the animal away from the source of heat by holding its paws carefully, and then rinse its mouth with lukewarm water for up to 15 minutes before getting help immediately.
When the weather is nice many dog owners like to take their furry friends for a walk. It’s important that you don’t exert your pet too much especially in hot humid conditions because this could lead to problems such as heat stroke, dehydration, and even death.
When going for a walk it’s best to stick to the shade and make sure they have access to water every hour or so if possible. If your dog does show signs of sickness it’s important not to give them anything by mouth unless told otherwise by the vet.
Some pets are naturally curious about what they can chew on but there are some they should avoid completely which includes any medication that has been prescribed particularly pills that are used for humans.
Pets are sometimes tempted to swallow medicines such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen which can cause problems such as an upset stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, drowsiness, bloody urine, and seizures.
If you suspect your cat or dog has consumed any medicine contact the vet immediately even if they don’t show any sign of illness because it could save their life.
It’s best to keep all medication away from pets at all times including over-the-counter pills, prescription pills, topical ointments, liquids, sprays, or anything else that has been prescribed to you by a doctor or purchased from a pharmacy.
If your dog does show signs of being sick after taking medication don’t give them anything by mouth unless told to do so by the vet.
Most household cleaners aren’t meant for pets and can be poisonous if ingested or inhaled (fumes). The best way to keep your pet safe is to keep them out of the area where these substances are being used and make sure that there isn’t anything accessible that they might chew on later like a broom handle for example.
Other things you should avoid using around your pet include pool chemicals, pesticides, and gasoline – if you use any of these at home it’s best to keep them out of reach.
Pets such as birds and cats will sometimes find poisonous substances such as rodenticides (rat poison) in the garden or even ingest them by mistake when looking for food.
These kinds of poisons can kill your pet so it’s important that you never leave any poisons exposed where they might get into it and always read the warning labels carefully before using a product yourself. If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic like this seek veterinary assistance immediately because their life could depend on it.
If you suspect your pet has ingested antifreeze, seek veterinary help immediately because if left untreated this can cause serious damage and even death.
Rodenticides (rat poison) are among the most common poisons found in gardens. Never leave any poisons exposed where they might get into it and always read the warning labels carefully before using a product yourself.
Pets are like family to their owners and one must keep them safe at all times. The seven things pet owners should be aware of mentioned in this article could save the life of your beloved furry friend if you happen to come across a situation where these things might occur.
Follow these tips and teach others how they too can protect their pets!